01 Jul TPMG Differentiation
Why TPMG is Different – at least We Believe We Are
TPMG is, first of all, the acronym for The PeregrineMaven Group.
It is more than that. It is the acronym for the way we work where
T = Think P = PLAN M= Make Decisions G = Go for it.
So why is this different? It is not new for most of us or for you but it is short, disciplined, action-oriented and tends to lead to success. Everyone can remember the process without having to find the document or email or “book.” It is a walk-around management tool (with only 4 steps or elements).
In developing content for the website, we looked through many, many websites. It seems as though many consultants highlight years and years of experience. It is almost standard verbiage in the organization descriptions. It made me think that chronological age and working through business/non-profit challenges is an expected statement.
How could TPMG explain what is different about us?
We are not retained because we have years and years of experience. We have those years. So do many others make the same claim. We are retained because in those years we have had a variety of successes and we have had a variety of failures.
“Well, so what?” you may be asking.
The answer: here are some of our differences:
- We learned from our failures – or “lessons – learned” as described today in business-speak. In fact, it is likely that we learned as much or even more from what not to do than from our big successes.
- Knowing what to avoid tends to lead to successful outcomes. We know that this is not an academic exercise and that there are significant penalties for getting it wrong – and staying on the wrong road and ignoring the signs.
- What provides the signs in new opportunities? The market, for-profit or non-profit. We do this (or we coach clients). We know how to listen to the markets – how to recognize the need to
- pay attention to market dynamics,
- measure the timeliness of reaction (the pace of adoption, for example),
- track positive and negative responses
- develop real-world understanding of the time to adopt new technologies/products and
- capture competitive responses.
- We tweak, make minor-major course corrections, even close-down initiatives when the P&L results demand it.
- We have real sales experience, mainly B2B. We know how to qualify leads, understand the sales process for a given market or market segment, get the order, keep the sales base and grow it. And we know how to train others to do it.
If this is for a for-profit organization, it can lead to higher revenues, greater profits, successful acquisitions and/or divestitures, better use of R&D spend, more inventions and innovative products and services, higher brand value, avoiding tracks that have big opportunity costs without the likelihood of positive returns – and so on.
For non-profits, it provides a basis for managing the inputs of both volunteer and employees/contractors to advance the aims of the non-profit and to deliver positive outcomes with what is usually a tight operating budget.
For start-ups, it provides the opportunity to create a sustainable business with a positive, profitable growth curve.
The next topics will be a deeper-dive into TPMG or, “Think-Plan-Make Decisions-Go.”
A.C. Nielsen, July 2015 Let us know how we can help… – and let me know if there are any particular topics you would like to have addressed sooner rather than later at firstname.lastname@example.org